[PeDAGoG] Stimulating points ... and some additional reflections (and points for 8th July meeting)

Melanie Bush melanie.e.l.bush at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 03:31:42 CEST 2020

Greetings!
It was great to be with you for even a short while today.  I look forward
to unfolding our chapter!
This is a little about me...

Grounded in movement work throughout my life, at this time I am co-chair of
the Board of May First Movement Technology Board
https://mayfirst.coop/en/
https://techandrev.org/ and working with People's Strike at the national
level, as co-rep of the International Committee and with the related NYC
Fight for Our Lives coalition. https://peoplesstrike.org/
https://peoplesstrike.org/peoples-strike-and-the-uprising-an-open-letter/ I
am a Professor, Sociology at Adelphi University / Research Fellow of the
University of South Africa.  My focus has been on
coloniality-decoloniality, white supremacy, nation and nationalism and
solidarity economies.
http://www.adelphi.edu/faculty/profiles/profile.php?PID=0338

There are several ways I'm hoping to connect with others in the network.
1) Collaborative teaching e.g. in the fall I teach courses on Community,
Love and Justice / The Role of Race in Contemporary US and Global Society
and Sociology of Power. I would love an opportunity either to have
reciprocal presence in classes OR to have students work together, as in a
course I will teach in the spring that I ran with someone from UNISA last
year.

2) Considering the bridge between the community based educational spaces
(study groups, people's assemblies etc) and that which occurs in University
settings.

I need to catch up on reading the threads - so I hope what I've shared here
is in line with the "asks".

Glad to make your acquaintance : - )

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 4:47 PM John Foran <foran at soc.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> I meant to send this before our meeting, but anyway here it is:  a piece
> about alternative pedagogies and universities in the course of which I
> learned so much.
>
> I almost mentioned PeDAGoG but didn't think I was quite ready to try to
> present it well.
>
> Another reason to look forward to our meeting!
>
> abrazos a todes,
>
> John
>
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 6:15 PM Callie Berman <callieberman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> For Ashish and Brandon, thank you for your efforts in creating these
>> spaces and an abode for compassionate thinking. My toeing of the formality
>> line shows I simply hadn't taken the time to familiarize myself with the
>> group more!
>> In which case, and to everyone connecting through this group, I am very
>> much looking forward to meeting those of you who can attend on the 8th.
>> Should be a wonderful opportunity to hear some of your stories and to
>> discuss learning across the wealth of life experiences.
>>
>> Hasta miércoles,
>>
>> Callie
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 6:45 PM Brandon Liu <brandon.k.liu at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Very well said, Ashish -- looking forward to discussing all these things
>>> on Wednesday. (For those who haven't registered yet, do register here:
>>> https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwrd-ugpj0pHNZzsKmYwGZAMgPUkRbpnDOO
>>> )
>>>
>>> I would like to weave together what Ashish said in the first half of his
>>> email about different ways of learning and knowing and with what Ashish
>>> wrote at the end about formal degree attainment and the inclusivity of
>>> PeDAGoG. In my personal opinion, one of the most important pieces of a
>>> radical pedagogy is to decolonize our minds of the notion that institutions
>>> of formal education and the narrow pathways of degree attainment hold the
>>> greatest claims to knowing and learning. Oftentimes, it is quite the
>>> contrary! Indeed, much of the inequality of the world today is created and
>>> reproduced by the belief the "educated" are the anointed and the
>>> "uneducated" are too ignorant to manage their own affairs. I exaggerate,
>>> but only slightly.
>>>
>>> In essence, I take PeDAGoG to be inclusive to "non-scholars" not because
>>> we are "open to people at all rungs of the academic ladder," but because we
>>> reject the preeminence of such a ladder, if we consider it to be a ladder
>>> at all. Given that the majority of members here do hold academic positions,
>>> I think such a perspective is important to make PeDAGoG a fully inclusive
>>> space in which all members are respected for their contributions, no matter
>>> their educational attainment.
>>>
>>> I'd like to express to anyone who has felt unsure about belonging here:
>>> You are welcome here and we are happy that you are here with us. If there's
> [...]

Rod Bush: Lessons from a Radical Black Scholar on Liberation, Love, and
Justice
Open access download for teaching purposes <http://bit.ly/RodBushLessons>
https://rodbush.org/

Tensions in the American Dream: Rhetoric, Reverie or Reality
<http://tupress.temple.edu/book/0399>
Author proceeds go to Cooperation Jackson <https://cooperationjackson.org/>

Everyday Forms of Whiteness: Understanding Race in a "Post-Racial" World
<https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780742599994/Everyday-Forms-of-Whiteness-Understanding-Race-in-a-'Post-Racial'-World-Second-Edition>

*Eternal and infinite love for you, yours & the ongoing struggle *

*for dignity, justice, wisdom and peace.*