[PeDAGoG] Open Discussion and Updates (July 2020)

Prof. George Kandathil gmk at iima.ac.in
Mon Jul 6 13:54:15 CEST 2020

Dear all:

I have also been part of this wonderful community for some time now- thanks
to Ashish. Despite having gone through many emails, like some others, I
couldn’t introduce myself. Thanks, Brandon, for your repeated trigger to
introduce oneself. Actually, Mohan Turaga, in his last email on this
thread, has mentioned me as his colleague with interest in alternatives to
corporate capitalism, particularly from an organizing perspective.

My research and teaching interest in alternatives comes from more than ten
years of research and teaching interest in understanding organizational
change from critical traditions of research with specific focus on the
operations of power involved within worker-management relations. Along
these lines, I have explored, in a limited manner, transformation of an
Indian privately owned company into a worker owned/ governed worker
cooperative as an alternative way of organizing. This was part of my
master's thesis, in 1996. I revisited this experience in 2015 in the form
of a research monograph. However, following my doctoral dissertation, I
have been focusing relatively more on topics like managerial control of
employees and technology-based organizational change, holding down my
interest in alternatives. The relatively dormant interest in alternatives
surged due to several incidents. For example, the MBA students of the
institute where I have been teaching along with Mohan pushed us to discuss
alternatives in a course that investigates the damage that corporate
capitalism has been creating through its irresponsible actions. My
interactions with scholars like Ashish, Mohan and other colleagues help
gain further momentum. With that enthusiasm, here we are, as Mohan
mentioned, hoping to learn from this community and take the learnings to
our research and teaching on alternatives.

I look forward to interacting with you more intensely.

Best.

George