[Digalog-admin] Ptain Dan sat upon a most uncomfortable carved t

Huntsberry Dunnell stowe at imail.dk
Sat Mar 27 02:43:49 CET 2010

R room, I presume likely."

"Oh, is she? Well, she'll be down in a jiffy. If she ain't I'll go up
and give her a surprise." "I'll call her, if you give me a chance."
"No, no, you needn't. No 'special hurry. She's waited for
three years; cal'late ten minutes more won't hurt neither of us. Had
your supper yet?" Daniel smiled grimly.
"Not yet," he replied. "Then she'll
be down to get it, of course. I shan't stop

her; I'm empty as a rum bottle four days
out of port. You folks eat late,
don't you?" "Sometimes."
"I should think so. What's
Zuby doin' up in her room this time of night?" "She said she was
goin' to change her clothes." "Oh, yes, yes; I see. Well, 'twon't take
her
long. If I went
up I'd only hold her back, and
I want my supper. Let's have a smoke, Dan, while we're waitin'." He
patted one pocket after the other
and finally located a chunky, battered pipe, which he proceeded to fill
with shavings from a black plug. Daniel watched him. A new idea was
dawning
in his mind, an idea which seemed
to afford him some pleasurable anticipation. Mr. Ginn looked up from
his tobacco shaving. "Now, tell me about all
this money of yours," he commanded. "I didn't hear nothin'
else at Trumet; that and your wife's gettin' to be commodore of some
woman's lodge or other was all they talked

about. Hey? Why, where's your
pipe? Ain't you goin' to

smoke? I've got plenty terbacker." Daniel looked dubious. "I guess not,
Labe," he said. "Zuba--well, the fact is, Zuba doesn't like people to
smoke in her kitchen." Laban's face expressed astonishment. "She
don't!" he cried. "She don't? How long since?" "Oh, almost ever since
she came here. It is one of her
new ways." "'Tis, hey? Well, I like the old ones better, myself. Never
you mind her ways; trot out your pipe and light up.
I--" He was interrupted by his companion, who made a flying jump toward
the stove. The teakettle was boiling over