[Digalog-admin] nd of the hall wa

Schnorbus shortfalls at oxonasl.com
Tue Aug 25 12:39:40 CEST 2009

 all." Christine felt herself terribly shaken. She did not dare to look
at Noel lest her eyes might betray her, and she would not for anything
have him to know how she was weakened in her resolve by what he had said
of his mother and sisters. The conviction with which he spoke had
carried its own force to her mind, and she suddenly found the strongest
weapon with which she had fought her fight shattered in her hands. He
saw that she was weakening, but he would not take advantage of it. She
was so white and tremulous; her breath came forth so quick and short;
the drawn lines about her mouth were so piteous that he felt she must be
spared. "I will not press you now, Christine," he said; "take time to
think about it. Let me come again to-morrow morning. I will leave you
now and you must try to rest. Talk freely to Mrs. Murray. Ask her what
you must do. Remember that I consent to wait, only because I am so
determined. Listen to me one moment. I swear before Heaven I will never
give you up. You gave yourself to me in that kiss, and you are mine."
"Yes," she said, as if that struggle were