[Controlsocial-usuarios] giant floods; it is still falling with

Stoops anorthositic at hotspring.nl
Sat Aug 29 04:13:57 CEST 2009

Me of ours. At the treaty of Fort Charlotte, Cornstalk told Lord Dunmore
the legend familiar among Ohio River savages--that here, in ages past,
occurred the last great battle between the white and the red Indians. It
is one of the puzzles of the antiquarians, this tradition that white
Indians once lived in the land, but were swept away by the reds;
Cornstalk had used it to spur his followers to mighty deeds, it was a
precedent which Pontiac dwelt upon when organizing his conspiracy, and
King Philip is said to have been inspired by it. But this is no place to
discuss the genesis of the tale. Suffice it, that on Sand Island have
been discovered great quantities of ancient remains. No doubt, in its
day, it was an over-filled burying-ground. Noises, far different from
the clash of savage arms, are in the air to-night. Far above our heads a
great iron bridge crosses the Ohio, some of its piers resting on the
island,--a busy combination thoroughfare for steam and electric
railways, for pedestrians and for vehicles, plying between New Albany
and Portland. The whirr of the trolley, the scream and rumble of
locomotives, the rattle of wagons; and just above the island head, the
burly roar of steamboats signaling the locks,--these are the sounds
which are prevalent. Through all this hubbub, electric lamps are
flashing, and just now a steamer's search-light swept our island shore,
lingering for a moment upon the little camp, doubtless while the pilot
satisfied his curiosity. Let us hope that savage warriors never o'
nights walk the earth above their graves; for such scenes as this might
well cause those whose bones lie here to doubt their senses. * * * * *
Near Brandenburg, Ky., Wednesday, 30th.--We stopped at New Albany, Ind.
(603 miles), this morning, to stock the larder and to forward our
shore-clothes by express to Ca