[Controlcambios-list] lenching. There is a laugh always read

Fait Nicklas mucilaginous at althan.cz
Wed Aug 26 18:57:59 CEST 2009

Ince; but that was cruel of you, that hiding of your royal dignity when
you found me here. For how can I ever be content with this black-haired,
black-eyed, black-avised devil again now that I have looked upon real
beauty and real majesty? THE DARK LADY. _[wounded and desperate]_ He
hath swore to me ten times over that the day shall come in England when
black women, for all their foulness, shall be more thought on than fair
ones. _[To Shakespear, scolding at him]_ Deny it if thou canst. Oh, he
is compact of lies and scorns. I am tired of being tossed up to heaven
and dragged down to hell at every whim that takes him. I am ashamed to
my very soul that I have abased myself to love one that my father would
not have deemed fit to hold my stirrup--one that will talk to all the
world about me--that will put my love and my shame into his plays and
make me blush for myself there--that will write sonnets about me that no
man of gentle strain would put his hand to. I am all disordered: I know
not what I am saying to your Majesty: I am of all ladies most deject and
wretched-- SHAKESPEAR. Ha! At last sorrow hath struck a note of music
out of thee. "Of all ladies most deject and wretched." _[He makes a note
of it]._ THE DARK LADY. Madam: I implore you give me leave to go. I am
distracted with grief and shame. I-- ELIZABETH. Go _[The Dark Lady tries
to kiss her hand]._ No more. Go. _[The Dark Lady goes, convulsed]._ You
have been cruel to that poor fond wretch, Master Shakespear. SHAKESPEAR.
I am not cruel, madam; but you know the fable of Jupiter and Semele. I
could not help my lightnings scorching her. ELIZABETH. You have an
overweening conceit of yourself, sir, that displeases your Queen.
SHAKESPEAR. Oh, madam, can I go about with the modest cough of a minor
poet, belittling my inspiration and making the mightiest wonder of your
reign a thing of nought? I have said that "not marble nor the gilded
monuments of princes shall outlive" the words with which I make the
world glorious or foolish at my will. Besides, I would have you think me
great enough to