[Controlcambios-bdoo] Ytch, and that I begged him, Iwan Ignatiitch, to b

Goodale Prahl earnestness at bmatv.de
Sat Apr 10 06:08:36 CEST 2010

Re frightened, and jumped aside. Taking
advantage of their
scare, I put spurs to my horse, and dashed off at full gallop. The fast
increasing darkness of the night might have saved me from any more
difficulties, when, looking
back, I discovered that Saveliitch was no longer with me. The poor old
man with his lame horse had not been able to shake off
the robbers. What was I to do? After waiting a few minutes and
becoming certain he had been stopped, I turned my horse's head to go to
his help. As I approached the ravine I heard from afar confused shouts,
and the voice
of my Saveliitch. Quickening my pace, I soon came up

with the peasants of the advance

guard who had stopped me a few minutes previously. They had surrounded
Saveliitch, and had obliged the poor old man to get off his horse, and
were making ready to bind him. The sight of me filled them with joy.
They rushed upon me with shouts, and in a moment I was off my horse.
One of them, who appeared to be the leader, told me they were going to
take me before the Tzar. "And our father," added

he, "will decide whether you are to be hung at once or if we are
to wait for God's sunshine!" I offered no resistance. Saveliitch
followed my example,
and the sentries led us away in triumph. We crossed the ravine to enter
the settlement.

All the peasants' houses were lit up. All around arose shouts
and noise. I met a crowd of people in the street, but no one paid any
attention to us, or recognized in me
an officer of Orenburg. We were taken
to a "_izba_," built in the angle