[Controlcambios-bdoo] {Spam?} O madam, do

July Hormell preoffense at nicklarson.ch
Sun Dec 6 14:10:15 CET 2009

Room of the chamber, madam, but not as a footman. _Mrs. Sul_. I suppose
you served as footman before? _Arch_. For that reason I would not serve
in that post again; for my memory is too weak for the load of messages
that the ladies lay upon their servants in London. My Lady Howd'ye, the
last mistress I served, called me up one morning, and told me, 'Martin,
go to my Lady Allnight with my humble service; tell her I was to wait on
her ladyship yesterday, and left word with Mrs. Rebecca, that the
preliminaries of the affair she knows of, are stopped till we know the
concurrence of the person that I know of, for which there are
circumstances wanting which we shall accommodate at the old place; but
that in the meantime there is a person about her ladyship, that from
several hints and surmises, was accessory at a certain time to the
disappointments that naturally attend things, that to her knowledge are
of more importance--' {191} _Mrs. Sul_., _Dor_. Ha! ha! ha! where are
you going, sir? _Arch_. Why, I han't half done!--The whole howd'ye was
about half an hour long; so I happened to misplace two syllables, and
was turned off, and rendered incapable. _Dor_. [_Aside to Mrs. Sullen_.]
The pleasantest fellow, sister, I ever saw!--[_To Archer_.] But, friend,
if your master be married, I presume you still serve a lady? _Arch_. No,
madam, I take care never to come into a married family; the commands of
the master and mistress are always so contrary, that 'tis impossible to
please both. {203} _Dor_. There's a main point gained: my lord is not
married, I find. [_Aside_. _Mrs. Sul_. But I wonder, friend, that in so
many good services, you had not a better provision made for you.