[Controlcambios-bdoo] men's doors, and kicking at the gates of Emperors.' It is a grea

Castles outrider at danuta.nl
Sat Aug 29 05:59:48 CEST 2009

 and fellows of that high order, are in the habit of indulging in this
propensity upstairs in the billiard-rooms of the 'Sarcophagus'--and,
partly to make their acquaintance, partly from a natural aptitude for
crime, Sackville Maine followed them, and became an adept in the odious
custom. Where it is introduced into a family I need not say how sad the
consequences are, both to the furniture and the morals. Sackville smoked
in his dining-room at home, and caused an agony to his wife and
mother-in-law which I do not venture to describe. He then became a
professed BILLIARD-PLAYER, wasting hours upon hours at that amusement;
betting freely, playing tolerably, losing awfully to Captain Spot and
Col. Cannon. He played matches of a hundred games with these gentlemen,
and would not only continue until four or five o'clock in the morning at
this work, but would be found at the Club of a forenoon, indulging
himself to the detriment of his business, the ruin of his health, and
the neglect of his wife. From billiards to whist is but a step--and when
a man gets to whist and five pounds on a rubber, my opinion is, that it
is all up with him. How was the coal business to go on, and the
connection of the firm to be kept up, and the senior partner always at
the card-table? Consorting now with genteel persons and Pall Mall bucks,
Sackville became ashamed of his snug little residence in Kennington
Oval, and transported his family to Pimlico, where, though Mrs. Chuff,
his mother-in-law, was at first happy, as the quarter was elegant and
near her Sovereign, poor little Laura and the children found a woful
difference. Where were her friends who came in with their work of a
morning?--At Kennington and in th