[Bdi4emc-help] MODULE_PARM

Paul bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com
Sat Sep 20 20:39:47 CEST 2008

Hi David

On Saturday 20 September 2008, David Szakovits wrote:
> i am attempting to build emc-1.0 from the source file found on the
> bdi-4.51 cd.  i have kernel i am having trouble satisfying the compiler
> with the MODULE_PARM macro in emcmodule.c.   when i use uname -r it
> shows  2.6.24-16-rtai if that helps.

The MODULE_PARM macro was finally dropped when the 2.6.17 kernel was released,
so running on anything more recent requires changes in that area.

> i have hunted around a bit and found some apparent similar macros like
> RTAI_MODULE_PARM  and "module_parm" but these do not appear direct
> replacements  and i am not sure how to proceed.  could you point me in
> the right direction?

You could include rtai_wrappers.h (if it isn't already pulled in indirectly)
and changing each occurrence of MODULE_PARM. Rather than doing that, I would
favour bypassing any third party macros and switching to module_param.

http://lwn.net/images/pdf/LDD3/ch02.pdf page 35-37 covers the format of
module_param.

Looking at my local repository, I see the relevant changes were made back in
June 2006 (and a few bug fixes have been committed since). It may be easier
if I sent you a more recent tarball.

Regards, Paul.