[Bdi4emc-help] Question regarding compiling EMC BDI-4.38

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Thu Mar 16 04:11:16 CET 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:39:40AM +0100, Mali Simon    ITPSD2 wrote:
> insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-rtai/kernel/adeos/adeos.ko': -1 File exists

On a 300MHz Pentium II laptop running Ubuntu, it takes somewhere between
10 and 20 minutes to completely build emc2 and axis.

Based on these 'insmod' errors and the report that it took ages to
compile emc2, I believe that you may have had emc or emc2 already
running, or else the "realtime" modules failed to unload when you quit
emc earlier.  When realtime is running, especially when PERIOD has been
turned to the tiniest value that doesn't crash the system, there's very
little time left for regular Linux programs to run.

If that's true, emc2 may run for you after a reboot.  If not, you may
find additional advice on compiling emc2 over on the emc-users mailing
list.