[Bdi4emc-help] Re: BDI suggestions

Paul bdi-emc at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 2 22:18:11 CET 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 02:26, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Really, once the initial config to a working kernel has been achieved,
> building new ones is pretty simple.

> The real, bites everybody behind the short hair problem is that the
> distros do not make it the least bit easy to discover the .config that
> built the kernel thats actually running.

Double checked Fedora, and they, like Debian, install a config-<KVER> in /boot
along with the vmlinuz image. The only difficulty is weeding out the
multitude of drivers that are not needed.. Even patching is painless as long
as you follw the advice of using a virgin tarball from kernel.org. I think
the one thing that does trip people up when it comes to patching with RTAI is
one or two of the config options. The favorite one is to enable APM and then
blame EMC for a ragged output.

Don't know about Fedora, but Debian has a make-kpkg script that will clean,
configure, and build the kernel, and serve it up as a deb package. A great
little tool if you are concerned about being able to purge a kernel image
from the system in the future.

Regards, Paul.

--
From the Klingon book of C:
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and