[Bdi4emc-help] configuring ini file

Mark Everett mweverett at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 00:26:09 CET 2006

Kudos to you Paul for your high brow and highly diplomatic overview of
the EMC/EMC2 BDI/Umbootoo :) frackus.

Stable is better. Hunting bugs instead of running a machine dont make
money. Looks to me the like the emc users sourceforge list (on the
rare occasions I have looked back) has turned into a Umbootoooo
support support group in large part.

that hardware abstraction layer thing was well intended and all but
seems to have added just another file to diddle, that you have to
learn how to diddle to get EMC to work for you if the defalt setup
wont work for you. Is that faster than moving a few wires in a
connector or reconfiguring a drive, likely not. The
breakout-I/O-stepper board I made uses the old EMC lpt pinout as the
default but will work on the DOS and windoze based controllers to, but
I havnt felt the need to try them since I went back to BDI after
trying to use EMC2. In fairness I should say they do indicate they
have fixed a lot of bugs since I tried it last.

rock on paul!

Mark

On 12/1/06, Paul <bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
> On Friday 01 December 2006 17:50, alex wrote:
> > But can you shed some light on setting limit and home switches?
> > I eyeballed hardware section of the manual for some time and it looks
> > like they are hardwired for this version of EMC ?
> > Are they wired this way: homes - pin 12
> > limits + -pin 15
> > limits - - pin 13 ?
> > Also , how can I ignore homing for Z axis?
>
> The home and limit switches are hard coded in to the sources. For many users,
> this limitation is not a problem, but for others, it is, so there is work
> afoot to address this and other issues (more on that when the time comes).
>
> As for ignoring the homing on a single axis - If the axis with the home
> switches use HOME_SWITCH_POLARITY=0, set HOME_SWITCH_POLARITY=1 for the axis
> without a switch - As long as pin 12 is pulled high when X and Y are not
> sitting on their respective switches, Z will always be evaluated as "homed".
> Set the HOME and HOME_OFFSET parameters so that the homed axis does not sit
> on a switch and you shouldn't have any problems.
>

> Regards, Paul.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." -Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)