[Bdi4emc-help] Re: New BDI-4 packages uploaded

Paul bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com
Tue Apr 11 20:57:58 CEST 2006

Hi Kent

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 17:32, Kent A. Reed wrote:
> Since I'm a chronic nit-picker, how about embedding the md5 checksums
> somewhere on your webpages? That way I'll have increased confidence that
> the file I downloaded is not only a valid copy of what's on the server
> but also less likely to have been hacked by a third party?

The ISO includes an md5sum embedded in to the image - This is what the
mediacheck boot option relies on when running an integrity check. Certainly
putting the md5sum up on the wiki page is not a problem (although anyone can
edit it). As a backup, the md5sums can be checked against the bdi-4.40.md5
file. As upload privileges are restricted to authorised users, the chances of
hacked ISOs is small, but the point is well taken.

> Have you given any thought to using the torrent? I'd think it would
> lessen the server loading when there is a new release. For example, now
> that I've downloaded BDI-4.40, I could be seeding the torrent with it,

I did consider the possibility of setting up a bittorrent server, but my
internet connection has been intermittent of late (most of March was
offline). I know Gene has also broached the idea on more than one occasion,
so if you'd like to collaborate, feel free to post details on
http://ourproject.org/moin/Where_to_get_it

Regards, Paul.