[Bdi4emc-help] Re: Wiki layout, g-codes, usb sticks

bdi4emc-help at lists.ourproject.org bdi4emc-help at lists.ourproject.org
Tue Dec 13 03:24:30 CET 2005

Hi Kent

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 01:47, bdi4emc-help at lists.ourproject.org wrote:
> Any organizational principle is better than none. However, call
> me cynical if you like (everybody at work does!) but I figure if this
> site is successful it will get disorganized over time just because lots
> of people will feel compelled to contribute and, like it or not, they'll
> add to it wherever they see fit because the whole purpose of theWiki
> approach is to let them do exactly that.

One very good reason to monitor and edit the submissions on a regular basis.
Given a reasonable framework to start with, I suspect most people will make
an effort to work within it. Once a page has been deemed free from errors by
the majority, it can be locked down to restrict further edits (not that I
would want to go that far).

> The DIN itself
> (http://www.din.de/) offers English language versions of DIN 66025-1
> (1982) and DIN 66025-2 (1988) for 74.40 EUR, about $88, each. Since
> they're more than a decade old, I'd guess they are delivered in
> paper-copy form

Also available in an encrypted password protected PDF format. Local libraries
are supposed to be able to supply any ISO/DIN standard on request, but due to
"funding restrictions" they never seem able to deliver.

> I'm not sure what you mean by transcribing Tom Kramer's paper. It is
> available in pdf and html format. What needs to be transcribed? (By the
> way, you might want to email Tom directly about both his paper and DIN
> 66025. You can search his email address on the NIST site).

Cutting and pasting in to wiki format. Not a difficult task, just time
consuming. Once in the wiki, notes could be added to highlight differences
between the various standards. I'll try my local library again, and if they
still can't get the ISO/DIN, I'll mail Tom.

Regards, Paul.

--
From the Klingon book of C:
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and