[Bah-sanse] Men sprang out from behind a tre

Margie Gragert magill en helixd.com
Jue Sep 16 05:08:41 CEST 2010

Ipal hotel. The commercial traveler got out first and went into the
house; the old man followed, and turning

to Sam as he passed him, he said with a glance at the vanishing
stranger: "He's a copperhead, that feller." He went on toward the
bar-room
door, but called back as he went: "If you get lonesome over at Jinks',
come in here in the evening. Ask for me; my name's Reddy."
Sam did not get out of the omnibus, but told the driver
to take
him to Congressman Jinks';
and on they went, first to the right and then to the left along
the wide and gently winding streets, which would have been well shaded
with maples if the yellow leaves had not already begun to fall. They
drove in at last through a gate

in a wooden fence and round a semi-circular lawn to the front of a
comfortable frame house,
and in a few moments he was received with open
arms by his relations.
Congressman Jinks was a widower and had several children, all of whom,
however,

were away at school except his eldest daughter, a young lady of Sam's
age, and his youngest,
a girl of seven. The for