[BAH-Estrecho] Bisho

Handly Payment shatterproof en hakcg.com
Dom Dic 27 15:14:10 CET 2009

Ar 1630, Rothiemay and others were killed. Kinsmen of both parties were
involved; and though the broil was temporarily settled, another soon
sprang up. The Lord John of the ballad was Viscount Melgum, the second
son of the Marquis of Huntly, who was appealed to as a peacemaker
between the factions of Leslie and Crichton. Lord John and Rothiemay
were sent by the Marquis to escort Frendraught to his home, a precaution
rendered necessary by the knowledge that the Leslies were in ambuscade.
Arrived at Frendraught, the laird and lady entreated the two young men
to remain the night, and eventually prevailed on them to do so. However
(though it was long disputed whether the fire was an accident or not),
it seems that the ancient grudge against Rothiemay moved Frendraught to
sacrifice 'a great quantity of silver, both coined and uncoined,' in the
firing of his house for the sake of burning Rothiemay. Sophia Hay (25.1)
was the daughter of the Earl of Erroll, and Viscount Melgum's wife. The
last two lines of the ballad are not easily explained, as the lady is
recorded to have been deeply attached to her husband; but it is possible
that they have been inserted from a similar stanza in some other ballad.
THE FIRE OF FRENDRAUGHT 1. The eighteenth of October, A dismal tale to
hear How good Lord John and Rothiemay Was both burnt in the fire. 2.
When steeds was saddled and well bridled, And ready for to ride, Then
out it came her false Frendraught, Inviting them to bide. 3. Said, 'Stay
this night untill we sup, The morn untill we dine; 'Twill be a token of
good 'greement 'Twixt your good Lord and mine.' 4. 'We'll turn again,'
said good Lord John; 'But no,' said Rothiemay, 'My steed's trapan'd, my
bridle's broken, I fear the day I'm fey.' 5. When mass was sung, and
bells was rung, And all men bound for bed, Then good Lord John and
Rothiemay In one chamber was laid. 6. They had not long cast off their
cloaths, And were but now asleep, When the weary smoke began to rise,
Likewise the scorching heat. 7. 'O waken, waken, Rothiemay! O waken,
brother dear! And turn you to our Saviour; There is strong treason
here.' 8. When they were dressed in their cloaths, And ready for to
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ruffianly.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 15735 bytes