[AfH-Chapters] How to proceed with Action for Happiness during Covid

Tobias Polzin tobias.polzin at actionforhappiness.de
Sat Oct 17 12:44:16 CEST 2020

Hi Mark,

thanks so much for your heartful thoughts and information.

_"creating a new enhanced*online version of the 8-week EWM* course
designed to be delivered online via Zoom":  _This sounds interesting!
Although from my experience (when we started AfH-Germany we did an
Online-Course in the core group to check the translations, to get into
contact with each other and to know AfH) it is really very different to
doing it in a room, it could be an appropriate reaction. Please keep me
updated! I guess, it could be imported to address the Covid situation in
the course, or at least in the promotion of the course. Even, if the
course content e.g. for Relationships, may be the same in Covid or
non-covid, I feel the course would be much more relevant, if it
addresses "Relationships given the limited freedom and contacts" or
"Happyness at work, online and offline", ...

*Asking people*: We will invite our social networks for an AfH-Germany
Online Exchange, 31.10.-1.11.. Something like  "The second Covid wave
asks for your ideas and contribution to distribute Happiness!" We need
new ideas and possibly also new people, because it becomes obvious that
the old ideas don't work in the moment, that this situation (in
combination with Covid challenges) exhausts some of our most loyal
contributors. If we don't find new approaches, it could be appropriate
to put AfH Germany into some resting mode (just performing the basic
tasks and wait for more matching times).

As always, if you have any thoughts or comments, I would be glad to hear
them.

Best wishes

  Tobias

P.S.: The covid situation in Germany, in particular in the area I live
in, has *changed rapidly*. From a slow growing curve of 1-2k incidents
per day when I wrote you last, we are now in the exponential growth
phase. If nothing inexpected happens we will run into a "March lockdown
feeling", too. No one would dare to announce an in person 8 week course
right.

Apart from that I had an inspiring chat with two course leaders in
Berlin who finished their aborted course. I was very good to get into
contact with these lovely people that expressed how valuable the course
leading experience was for them.

I would like to share some thoughts they had about in-place courses,
although you might have the same observation already yourself. They
empathically described the difficulty to go to a course even it would be
legally possible:

* Participating a course with unknown people is a social risk. In times of covid, people seem to be more risk-averse regarding social risks.
They feel themselves that they have limited courage and desire to get into near contact with new people.

* For the "spreading" personalities: These people may feel, "if you want to be respectful, you should limit your near contacts as much as possible."

* For the "seeker" personalities, being insecure with live: These people may fear, "what kind of people will I meet there, if they meet even under these conditions, although it is perfectly legal."