[Solar-general] Ton Roosendaal, of Blender Institute: I don’t consider myself much related to “free culture” really

Pablo Manuel Rizzo info en pablorizzo.com
Vie Nov 26 16:06:54 CET 2010

- Blender Institute projects have a rare but heavily developed
intersection between free and open source software (Blender the
software and its developer community) and free culture (the films the
Blender Institute produces). How related and similar are these worlds?

- I don’t consider myself much related to “free culture” really, and
certainly not in the political sense. For Blender projects it’s just a
natural way to deliver it in open license like with [the licenses
provided by] CC. We want our users to learn from them, to dissect our
tricks and technology, or use them for other works. And not least: to
allow everyone who works on a project to freely take it with them; as
a portfolio, or companies who sponsor us who need demos or research
material. So in that sense we are free culture!

But each time I meet people who work in this field, it’s mostly
theorists, not practicists. so I’m a bit biased [...] people who talk
about free culture don’t seem to make it (at least here in the
Netherlands, at conferences or meetings). I get regular invitations to
talk on this topic. I do it sometimes, but the blah-blah level
disturbs me a bit. Free culture is about doing it.

Pablo Manuel Rizzo