[Solar-general] la experiencia australiana

gerardobdiaz en arnet.com.ar gerardobdiaz en arnet.com.ar
Vie Nov 5 16:39:38 CET 2004

La esperanza no está perdida. Este australiano comenta que allá, una vez
que te comiste el umbral te bajan la velocidad a 64kbps fijos. Será eso
mejor que los u$s 6 por gb supong?

Es feedback del artículo de Cassia en the inquirer, supongo.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19480

--begin quote--

Charge them by the Megabyte, show them who are men

Hi,

I\'ll tell ya what, \"charge by the megabyte/gigabyte\" is not a new concept.

It began with Telstra Cable, here in Australia. Back in 1998, it was like 500MB per month and 25 cent per megabyte! (I recall racking up one hell of a bill just to download Debian Linux!)

(Interestingly enough, a more generous version was adopted by some US ISPs as it was generating huge profits...But it didn\'t last long...)

However, today its largely unlimited usage but speed is shaped to 64k (8KB/s) once you go over your monthly planned usage (about 10GB or 20GB depending on which plan you go for). In addition, there\'s \"unmetered sites\" that allow you to download distros and other goodies at no cost to you. (and at full speed...I get 10Mbit speeds!)

So what Argentina is just starting to experience, we Aussies have been buried with it for quite a while. Not to worry, hopefully, ISPs wise up when they start loosing customers. They most probably will eventually give you unlimited usage, but shaped speeds. (This \"forces\" folks to pay extra if they need more usage, otherwise deal with slow speeds).

I guess it depends if the Govt will step in, that\'s what happened in Australia. The Govt body known as the ACCC put their foot down about how unfair the Internet plans were, and how these practices like \"charge by the usage\" will hamper the adoption of broadband services for all Australians. (less people are likely to sign up because they have to keep an eye on the bloody usage!).

So, many of us Aussies know how you Argentinian broadband users feel.

Regards
Stmok