[implementations-list] style; VCS

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 15:48:50 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:15:30PM +0000, Vegard Øye wrote:
> > Again, the repo looks fine.
>
> I'm not sure I got the tag folders right. Am I missing something here?
> (What's the best folder structure?) Right now there's only a single
> viper-in-more-modes.el file, while with SVN I had backups of versions
> 0.1.2 and 0.1.3.

Yeah; actually I noticed that, too, but thought "ok, the data and diffs
are there, probably good enough... :P"; and somewhat more importantly, I
had no idea how exactly the tags looked like in the original SVN repo
(and when I tried to check it out again and compare, I got an error -- I
assume you already deleted it?).

The Hg version also only shows the 0.1.3 tag (and tip);

Hm... actually now I think about it, AFAIK you have to push tags
explicitly in Git with the --tags option; there's also --mirror to push
everything (all refs and tags) in one go. So you might actually have the
tags in your clone from SVN, just haven't pushed them to the remote.

> > You might also have a look at other Git front-ends
> > <https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools>,
> > some of which mention working on Windows -- there is even a Git port
> > of TortoiseSVN.
>
> Yes, TortoiseSVN is what I use and love, and TortoiseGit is quite
> similar. It sits on top of msysGit, the Windows port of Git, which I
> was using when I typed the commands above. msysGit is even kind enough
> to provide its own Bash shell for when Windows' command line isn't up
> to the task (e.g., generating SSH keys).
>
> > ... seems to suggest that it's still rather for the adventurous, and
> > mentions using Cygwin in case something goes awry (but it might be
> > somewhat dated).
>
> Yeah, all the warnings I can find date back to 2008. There are also
> some recent signs that it works well enough for small projects.
> Anyway, if things aren't working out, we can always switch to
> Mercurial.

Great.

> To sum up, there are basically two main issues:
>
>     * Whether we should switch to distributed version control.
>       The main argument is that Vimpulse might get more contributor
>       love (more egalitarian, more popular, and without the politics
>       of write access).
>
>     * Whether we should use Git or Mercurial. This isn't that much
>       of an issue, though, since both provide straightforward
>       tools for migrating from one to the other.
>
> Based on this, I cast my vote in FAVOR of distributed version control
> and Git, and wait for Alessandro and Jason to weigh in with their views.

We'll be holding our breaths then (thanks to John Foerch for support!)
;).

    Štěpán