[Bdi4emc-help] parallel port init makes a step

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 13 04:18:52 CET 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 21:37, Paul wrote:
>Hi Matt
>
>On Monday 13 February 2006 01:53, Matt Timmermans wrote:
>> OK, that sounds good.  Hmmm...  So (I'm sure I'd know this if I
>> wasn't newish to Linux) if I go into the modules directory and
>> DELETE the lp, parport_pc, and parport kernel modules, will it fix
>> the problem forever, or will it break my boot sequence?
>
>Don't go deleting the modules from the system - It would break a
> couple of the init scripts run at boot time. Check /etc/modules and
> comment out lp & co if they are listed, and run "update-rc.d -f
> cupsys remove" - This last command removes the cupsys init script
> from the list of services started at boot time. Without booting up a
> BDI-4 box, I'm not sure if there is anything else that might load the
> parport modules. I'll check on that tomorrow for you.

Humm, thats not a problem I've hit Paul.  And cups is installed and
running just fine on that box.  I printed one of the docs on that
machine, to a printer on this machine with no problem at all, cups
found the IPP share when I brought up the "print this" requester just
fine.  The only thing on the parport out there on the bdi machine is
the xylotex card.  And one step from a motor when emc2 is first run is
like .0002", but this occurs only on the first run of emc2 after the
bootup. The only other time I've heard a motor move was if I'd turned
off the power and moved them by hand, and then reapplied the power.
It'll goto where ever the xylotex card thinks is home because motor
power and xylotex power is from the same supply.  Could be a max of 3
steps I think.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: